The Future of Offshore Crew Transfer
Offshore Transfer Systems
Developing a motion compensating platform for use on the crew transfer vessels that ferry workers from the shore to wind turbines during construction and maintenance.
- Waves and sea swell make the vessel move around
- The bow of the boat is pushed against the turbine to make steady
- Vessel impact damages turbine structure and foundations
- Transfer must be abandoned if conditions are too severe
Investment in Offshore Wind industry is increasing rapidly, but sea conditions limit access to work sites, keeping costs high.
A 50% improvement in access will reduce the overall cost of energy production by 3%.
Motion Compensating Transfer Platform
- Active hydraulic control keeps platform stationary
- 4 degrees of freedom
- Bow does not impact turbine
- Allows vessel to absorb waves
- Increases operations weather window